Good News for Nonprofits Moving to a New State

Nonprofits Moving to a New State

The IRS recently issued a favorable ruling for nonprofits moving to a new state.  Common reasons that nonprofits seek to change their state of incorporation include a change in a physical location, increasing regulatory burdens, or a lack of meaningful connection to the original state of incorporation.

Prior Law on Non-Profits Moving to a New State

Historically, exempt organizations were forced to file a new exemption application with the IRS whenever they restructured.  However, other rulings permitted corporations to retain their employer identification number (“EIN”) for some types of restructuring transactions.

New Guidance for Nonprofits Moving to a New State

To better align the requirement to obtain a new EIN with the requirement to file a new exemption application in restructuring situations, Rev. Proc. 2018-15  eliminates the need for domestic corporations to reapply for tax-exempt status after a corporate restructuring if certain conditions are met.

Specifically, the surviving organization will not be required to file a new exemption application if the following conditions apply:

The restructuring organization must:

  1. be a corporation or unincorporated association in good standing with the State in its state of incorporation or formation.
  2. continue to meet the organizational test of Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(b), including Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(b)(4) (regarding the dedication of assets to exempt purposes).

The surviving organization must be:

  1. a domestic business entity classified as a corporation under Reg. § 301.7701-2(b)(1) or Reg. § 301.7701-2(b)(2).
  2. carrying out the same purposes as the exempt organization that engaged in the corporate restructuring.

Excluded Transactions

Rev. Proc. 2018-15 does not apply to any corporate reorganization involving a disregarded entity, limited liability company, partnership, or foreign business entity, or one in which the surviving organization obtains a new EIN.

Related Post: The Arizona Entity Restructuring Act

Notifying the IRS

The surviving organization must report the corporate restructuring on its Form 990 for the applicable tax year. Further, in the case of domestication or reincorporation in a different state, the surviving organization must also report a change of address on Form 8822-B.

Related read: Activities in New States

Ellis Carter is a nonprofit lawyer with Caritas Law Group, P.C. licensed to practice in Washington and Arizona. Ellis advises nonprofit and socially responsible businesses on corporate, tax, and fundraising regulations nationwide. Ellis also advises donors with regard to major gifts. To schedule a consultation with Ellis, call 602-456-0071 or email us through our contact form.

Share this post

Scroll to Top

How to Start a Non-Profit Organization

Download our free guide to learn about the many elements needed to run a successful nonprofit organization, as well as how to avoid common pitfalls and mistakes.